Let us look at some past comments and announcements by Ford.
At the Paris Motor Show, Ford announced that it will be making C-Max Hybrids and PlugIns.
• Ford is on track to produce five hybrid electric, plug-in hybrid electric and battery electric vehicles for the North American market by 2012 and European markets by 2013Dailytech in an interview with Sherif Marakby, Director of Ford's Hybrid and Electric vehicles program in Sep, 2010 got quite a few details.
• Ford’s first hybrid and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles for Europe will be based on the new Ford C-MAX and be launched in 2013
• C-MAX plug-in hybrid will use the company’s critically acclaimed powersplit architecture with a high-efficiency Atkinson-cycle engine in combination with a high-voltage electric motor generator and a lithium-ion battery system
It seems likely that the PHEV will be the C-Max. This assumption is based on the expected all-electric range of 30 miles and a juicy tidbit which Mr. Marakby let slip -- that the intended total range was about 700 miles on a full tank and full charge. The current Kuga has a 12.3 gallon tank, while the C-Max has a 14 gallon tank. Given that the C-Max gets better gas mileage and still only averages about a 450 mile range in current petrol (gas) variants, it seems very likely that the less efficient Kuga with a smaller tank could meet the 700 mile target.Ofcourse, we now know, the range will be 500 miles, not 700. This is most likely because th gas tank size has been reduced to accommodate the battery.
To recap, Ford in 2012 will unleash its first PHEV. The PHEV is not the Ford Focus and is likely based on the Ford C-Max, or perhaps the Ford Fusion. Ford feels that its PHEV will be a more compelling offering than series/BEV plug-ins, but will still be lower volume than hybrids.
Even before that, in May 2010, Ford had announced that it will build C-Max Hybrids & Plugins in Spain.
- Ford's Valencia Plant in Spain will build the company's first hybrid vehicles for European customersIn later blog posts I'll talk about the predecessor of Energi - the Plug-In Ford Escape Hybrid.
- Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV) and Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) derivatives of the all-new Ford C-MAX to launch in Europe in 2013